Thursday, December 6, 2018

Long Way Down

My Thoughts:

This novel in verse is about 15-year-old Will who decides that he must follow the rules and avenge the shooting death of his brother. As he rides down the elevator of his housing complex to L (for loser), he encounters A Christmas Carol like menagerie of ghosts who enter and stay as the elevator stops on each floor.

This is a must share for reluctant readers. The poetry style and the ample white space as well as the generational story of each ghost and his/her connection to Will is a perfect "not boring" way to keep middle level readers engaged. 

I also really love this cover, the way the inside panel of the elevator on the cover shows a fuzzy distorted view of Will is both simple and very metaphoric. As long as teachers don't harp on it and try to analyze the cover to death, I think it can speak for itself. I just really like how haunting it is.

Finally, I appreciate authors like Mr. Reynolds who come at writing as a reluctant reader. I just read an article in The Guardian about Reynolds and how amazing it is that he is a writer considering that he was 17 before he read a book from start to finish. YA needs more writers who are aliterate or reluctant readers writing for their younger selves. Like Reynolds says, to reach readers, do not write boring books. Amen and thank you for this not boring book. 

Update: (08/18/21)

Simon and Schuster Publishing shares their teacher discussion guide
Excerpt:
Long Way Down DON’T NOBODY
believe nothing

these days

which is why I haven’t

told nobody the story

I’m about to tell you.

And truth is,

you probably ain’t

gon’ believe it either

gon’ think I’m lying

or I’m losing it,

but I’m telling you,

this story is true.

It happened to me.

Really.

It did.

It so did.

No comments: