Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Emily the Strange: Seeing is Deceiving by Rob Reger




Hardcover: 64 pages 
Publisher: Chronicle Books (August 24, 2006)
Rating: 4 out of 5


What I love about libraries is that there are so many treasures just waiting for me even in the most modest public library, so here's a shout out to the Liliha Public Library in Honolulu, Hawaii.
What I love about this library is they have a fabulous young adult section and one of the largest graphic novel and manga collections I've seen. Whoever their young adult librarian is, they are doing a great job. The building itself is also interesting because the parking is on the roof. For more on this library, check out the library tour on the Hawaii Book Blog.


Anyway, I discovered this gothic looking book and found out that Emily the Strange not only has a whole franchise of merchandise, but she has quite a devout following around the world. The character was created by Rob Reger and his company, Cosmic Debris Etc, Inc. out of Oakland, California.

Emily the Strange reminds me of a teen version of Olivia (the pig). She has her same preference in colors (red) with the teen goth black added in, same quick intelligence and the same charming arrogance that comes from the belief that the world truly does revolve around them. Love it!

I found out that this is her 4th book which basically means that I'm on a mission for books 1-3, but in this one, Emily challenges her devotees to see things her way. What I like are the ghostly spot varnish tricks on the page and the clever die-cuts that truly make this book a fun trek into optical illusions and a nice gift for the teen or tween that just doesn't need another Jamba or Starbucks gift card.

No comments: