Sunday, October 4, 2009

Odd Thomas

Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz



Reading level: high school/adult

I read this after I read the graphic novel version of this series called In Odd We Trust. I really liked the graphic novel, but I wasn't ready for the horror of this audiobook. I believe that authors are trying to reach out to a different audience when they do a graphic novel of their novel series, but I wasn't prepared for this. The graphic novel doesn't hint at the full extent of what I see as the horrors of the actual novel. The graphics are not designed like

Odd Thomas, the 20-year-old fry cook of the small desert town of Pico Mundo, still is an innocent, quirky character who sees dead people, but the kinds of living monsters that he has to deal with is quite disturbing when the earbuds are in my ear.

I can't figure out where In Odd We Trust actually fits in with this first Odd Thomas book, but I can't say why without spoiling the ending.

Long story short, Odd continues to be a likeable character, but be ready for monsters disguised as normal people.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

My oldest liked Odd Thomas. I have not read anything by Dean Koontz, I guess I should. Have a fun week reading.
My Monday is here: http://rundpinne.blogspot.com/2009/10/what-are-you-reading-monday.html

Anonymous said...

I read Odd Thomas. I really enjoy most of Deean Koontz's work - a couple of his more recent ones are a bit out there - Velocity and Strange Highways but if you can get the older ones - he was once my favorite author.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

One of these days I need to read a Koontz book!