Friday, March 11, 2022

I'll Take Care of You: Picture Book

 


Publication date: April 12, 2022
Maria Loretta (author); Nicoletta Bertelle (illustrator)

My Thoughts:

Besides the fact that the artwork is just beautifully vibrant, as I read this story of the seed, the shoot, the tree, the bird, the nest. . .leading back to the seed, this is a great allegory for place-based or ʻāina-based pedagogies. This reminds me of the 2018 documentary The Biggest Little Farm and it brings me back to our conversations around the complex ways we need to create an environment for learning in our classrooms. Like nature, there is a delicate balance as well as hope when the "soil" is not ideal.

I would love to use this in a philosophical circle. What a warm reminder: I'll take care of you. That is all we ever want. 


From the Publishers:

A tiny seed finds itself lost in the world, but with care from the Sky, Earth, and Sun it grows up to be a beautiful apple tree. When the tree meets a bird in need of help, it offers its branches as shelter and shows little readers the magic of being cared for and taking care.

This comforting tale celebrates the harmonious relationship between birds and trees, reveals the quiet wonder of our ecosystems, and helps little readers appreciate the care they receive from their family and friends every day. In return, children will learn that they can care for others too and cultivate empathy and kindness.

With warm, colorful illustrations and a timely message of care and community, I’ll Take Care of You offers a soothing story before bedtime, or anytime on tough days.




**thankful to Blue Dot Kids Press for making these advanced reader copies available. The quality of your artists is quite impressive and I have enjoyed this journey.


No comments: