Sunday, July 3, 2022

Way of the House Husband (Manga series 2-7)

 


My Thoughts:
I did not know until I started reading this that Netflix has an anime version of The Way of the House Husband on its streaming service. I am currently on volume 4 of the 7 that I own and it continues to be giggle worthy with each little vignette.  Not to be missed in the manga series is the bonus scenes at the end which are sometimes funnier than the book. One of my favorite bonus scenes is when Tatsu is teaching a home ec class at the local high school. Their first assignment is to design their own apron and one teenage male just thinks itʻs lame but in true Tatsu style, Tatsu boss man shames the student and gets him to understand that if he is the only one not to create his own apron, that is really lame. 

As for the Netflix series, because it takes the stiff art from the manga, it is a little disjointed and people not familiar with the manga may not get the same laughs out of these very short snippets. I found myself laughing but I don't know if I was laughing because I know the original scenes or because on screen they were just as funny. The transitions are also too fast. When the cat is just looking at the still alive cockaroach at the end of that scene, the cat and the roach have their own page. That space and time transition is funnier because as a reader you know that Tatsu was defeated. On the screen, it just goes by quickly.

The trailer will demonstrate the look of it, and although I watched it, I prefer the manga.

No comments: