Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Mist, Metal, and Ash


Publication date: February 19, 2019

Description:

Worlds collide in this thrilling sequel to the epic, imaginative, acclaimed fantasy Ink, Iron, and Glass.
In an alternate 19th-century Italy, Elsa has an incredible gift: she can craft new worlds with precise lines of script written in books. But political extremists have stolen the most dangerous book ever scribed—one that can rewrite the Earth itself.
Now Elsa must track down the friend who betrayed her and recover the book before its destructive power is unleashed. Can she handle the secrets she’ll uncover along the way—including the ones hiding in her own heart?

My Thoughts:

Dammit, sucked in again!!! Alternate world/fantasy authors love the sequel. YA authors love the trilogy with some novellas tucked in between. So a YA alternate world/fantasy author? I should know better, but this is really my personal genre of choice, so no, I am just left at the "Edgemist." 

This is an action packed, stay up late book. There is always something around the corner and the end words are a great example in craft. No complaints. This book delivers.

But here is my complaint: I hate waiting. This is book number 112 this year. My 111th book was the first book in this series Ink, Iron and Glass posted two days ago. Here is my issue: Christopher Paolini, George R.R. Martin. Confused? These are notoriously slow series writers who leave their audiences in limbo for years, literally. Because I read so many YA books, the chance that I forget this series before the next one comes out is very likely. 

But here is my hope: Gwendolyn Clare is a female writer and female writers are a little more disciplined, or finances necessitate their ability to write on deadline. Take the first three Harry Potter books - three in three years. Until the books hit mass mania appeal, Rowling had time to write. SO my  hope is that February is a good month for Ms. Clare. Her last book before this series, Deep Magic came out in February 2017. Ink, Iron and Glass was out in February 2018. This next book comes out in February 2019. I am hoping that I remember this series and I am hoping that February 2020 is a good month.

Last Words

"So." Porzia gave them all a glittering smile. "Would you care to make a deal?"

An advanced digital copy provided by Net Galley and the publisher for an honest review.

No comments: