Friday, October 26, 2018

Whatever: or how my junior year became totally f$@ked

Tags: LGBTQ, queer lit, coming of age, boy meets boy, coming out

Description:

It's like the apocalypse came, only instead of nuclear bombs and zombies, Mike gets school participation, gay thoughts, and mother-effin' cheerleaders.
Junior year is about to start. Here's what Mike Tate knows:
His friends are awesome and their crappy garage band is a great excuse to drink cheap beer. Rook Wallace is the devil. The Lemonheads rock. And his girlfriend Lisa is the coolest. Then Lisa breaks up with him, which makes Mike only a little sad, because they'll stay friends and he never knew what to do with her boobs anyway. But when Mike finds out why Lisa dumped him, it blows his mind. And worse—he gets elected to homecoming court.

My Thoughts:

This is a perfectly sweet coming of age LGBTQ book. There are several that I have read over the years like this but looking over my past posts I realize that I have read them but have not written about them. 

This one I like. It is sweet and although the character is confused like the character in Picture us In the Light, Mike does not have the same Asian guilt stigma and his secret is really only a secret to himself and a couple of his friends. His mother and grandmother are very supportive and his best friend who he thought was his girlfriend basically has to out him to himself. See, sweet. 

My issue is that this is a very good YA book for the middle level reader and I have no problem putting it in my classroom library. My issue is that I just need to know who to book talk this kind of book to. I don't have any suggestions yet, but I wonder if just having it as an option is enough?

No comments: