Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Sota's Knife

Description:

Sota Kitaoka, 20 years old, working at Ginza's famous "Tomikyu" under a strict but passionate boss, struggling and aiming to be a chef.  One day he will make food that reaches peoples' hearts...

My Thoughts:

I am so glad that I found this on Net Galley as it combines my love of manga with my love of foodie stories. Although this is a fictional account of a young wannabe cook at a famous Tokyo restaurant, Tomikyu, I feel like the stories reveal cultural and foodie culture truths that make Japan so very unique. 

I appreciate that the first story really identified the humility of Soto and his work ethic that will help him to succeed. That was a great way to identify this character and his  gambatte spirit. Other values that are highlighted in this manga:
  • there is honor in even the most menial jobs
  • if you want to learn something, you have to show that you are willing to put the work in beforehand to show that you are "teach worthy"
  • ingredients, including water, are important
  • there are no cutting corners on quality
More from this very enjoyable character please. 

An advanced copy provided by Net Galley and the publisher for an honest review.


No comments: