Thursday, July 19, 2018

Sea Of Love

Publishing date: July 31, 2018
Diamond Book Distributors
Lion Forge

In this wordless comic about an old fisherman lost at sea and the wife who goes to the ends of her earth to find him, this is a powerful story not just of love but about the damage we are doing to our oceans and to each other. This is also a story of carelessness and blind industrialization.

How do I get all of this from a wordless story? Because there are no words, I had to bring my experiences to the book. When his fishing boat gets blindly caught in the nets of an industrial fishing trawler and there are no humans to see him, I think of my oldest son on his little kayak fishing in Kaneʻohe Bay last week. He saw a commercial shuttle boat moving quickly towards him, so my son maneuvered his kayak to sit almost on the reef to leave the channel free. The commercial boat zoomed past him so close that it snagged his line, pulled out 300 yards of line and his lure. My son blew his emergency whistle to let them know he was snagged on them and the boat just blew past him. As a mother, I am thankful that he is ok, and I am grateful that the captain of the larger ship that this shuttle was meeting beyond the reef actually heard the whistle, saw the recklessness of one of his skippers and suspended his license, but it helped me to bring my son's experience into this story. 

This very cute story also has the power to bring more awareness to current issues like the large trash pile floating in the ocean. I wish there were some resources at the end of this to highlight some organizations that are connected to this tale.


No comments: