Sunday, December 3, 2017

The Castoffs, V2



From the publisher:
Charris, Trinh, and Ursa have managed to work together long enough to defeat the evil Priestess and her hive-mind robot army, the Surrogate. They journey back to the village of Clifton to reunite with their guild, but once there, they discover that the Priestess may not be defeated after all, and a much larger threat may be looming. A secret from Ursa's past threatens to break the fragile trust between the three mages, but they must overcome their differences and work together if they stand a chance of surviving the coming darkness.

My thoughts:
Normally, even if I am reading from volume 2, either the publisher description or a brief couple of pages in the beginning of the book lets me know what is going on in the book, but this is not the case for this book. The conflict seemed to be that whatever the main characters did was not really seen as positive by everyone. In addition, the main characters seem like they are apprentices and that is also not always looked at kindly within their own "school." And then the book was over and I was left with some looming graphic that hinted of some one or some thing still being in the picture. I read enough magic books that I should know what a mage is, but I had to look it up (magician or learned person). 

I think this is meant to attract the young tween reader, but the publishers need to know that the young reader does not always read things in order. It just depends what is at the library and what catches their eye. Therefore, each of the volumes needs to have enough in it to stand on its own. Unfortunately, this one does not. By the time I had a firm grasp of what was going on, I was two pages to the end of the book. 

No comments: