Saturday, October 14, 2017

Immortal Rules



This is the first in the Blood of Eden series from Julie Kagawa.

Do not judge a book by its cover or publisher (unless you like this cover or you are into Harlequin Teen). Personally, I passed this cover by for a couple of weeks when I went to my public library just because vampire crying. Plus it's already a spoiler, so yes, the main character, who should look Japanese rather than Caucasian as the cover depicts, becomes a vampire in the first book and then lo and behold must learn the rules of being immortal.

This is in my trash novel pile, not because I think it is trash, but because it is one of those devour without having to think too much books that I read long past the point when I should stop and sleep or grade papers or cook dinner or take a shower and then the next day I feel totally trashed. Still, the to do list piles up, the very important thing folder gets full and I find myself at the library borrowing the rest of the trilogy.

Julie Kagawa is not a new author, she is just new to me, but I understand her appeal and have heard great things from other bloggers about her Iron Fey series. Her writing is fast, she knows how to big picture trilogy a story and how to end it at the most inopportune time. For this series, I just have a thing for vampire stories with awkward teen characters (unlike the classic vamps like the New Orleans vamps in Anne Rice). Plus this trilogy is led by Allison Sekegawa, girl, Japanese, wields a katana and always makes the wrong decisions because the heartless vampire girl leads with her heart. Nice.

No comments: