Friday, November 21, 2014

Henni


Author/Illustrator: Miss Lasko-Gross
Publication Date:  January 20, 2015
Publisher: Z2 Comics
Electronic copy furnished by: Net Galley with permission of the publisher.

In short: this graphic novel is about a young girl named Henni who lives in a fantastical dystopia where old traditions and religion threaten to destroy Henni's natural curiosity and wondering about the nature of society, gender, equality and fairness. As she matures, she must leave her community to search for the truth and adventure that she knows is just beyond the boundaries of her life.

My thoughts: I really don't like the cover (above) because she looks scared and alarmed which I think does not accurately portray Henni's nature. She is more calm, brave, and in control than this first cover suggests. The copy that I have shows this cover:

I am not sure if I like this cover either, but at least it shows the ferocity that is Henni. I want to talk about my favorite line and then I have more questions than answers which is never a bad thing after finishing a book, but they are wonderings nonetheless.
No one can know the contents of another's mind - Henni
I like this line because it explains her tenacity and her ability to keep searching and not be complacent or compliant.

Here are my questions:

  • What was the significance of the Phoenix fly scene?
  • Specifically, who is the man who burns his ring into her hand with the phoenix fly blood?
  • What is the connection between the man, the ring, the book with the same insignia at the end and Henni's father?
  • Is the man her father?
  • Does she ever find her father or is he really dead?
  • What is Henni? Human? Animal? Some people look human but she has these ears and when she goes to the second village, she is deemed naked and given clothes to put on over her "fur?" 
  • What happened to her sister?
  • Does her sister miss her and regret turning Henni in?




No comments: