Saturday, September 13, 2014

Kamen, Volume 2


Title: Kamen, volume 2
Author:  Gunya Mihara (also artist)
Publication date: November 25, 2014
Publisher: Gen Manga

Review copy supplied by Net Galley for Gen Manga

In short:  General Simba (young female) is at war with the Zoh army. Her actions are brash to her elders. Even her uncle, Lord Gailas will crush her army if he must. Out of seemingly  nowhere, the masked man appears. . .to be continued

My thoughts: Several elements must be present in an intriguing manga, mostly because the genre relies on your continued patronage of their art.  First and foremost, there must be an interesting or appealing character with a mysterious backstory that you want to learn more about. 

Second, there should be enough of a cliff hanger at the end of the manga so that you must know the rest of the story.

Although this is the 2nd volume and I did not read the first, I find that the masked man has enough mystery surrounding him where I would like to know more. As stories go, starting at this volume is not advisable, however, I did skip to the end in hopes of finding out a little about the characters. Most manga have this feature at the end. I could surmise from the reading that there was a war but it was confusing and I just kept reading without really knowing who to root for. Until I read the back, I wasn't sure who I was supposed to tag as the "good guy/girl," but based on the backstories, I think the young General Simba is the girl to watch, as well as the masked man.

Second, there is definitely a cliff hanger because I don't know what the masked man is there for and who he works for so the "to be continued" tag was disappointing because I was finally hooked. 


No comments: