Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson

Suite Scarlett Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Scarlett Martin is the 15-year-old protagonist, who with her parents and three other siblings lives in the dilapidated NY Hotel, the Hopewell. For her 15th birthday, she inherits a suite to take care of, and when eccentric former actress Amy Ambrose moves in, Scarlett's dull summer gets complicated and "dramatic."

I actually downloaded this book for free from the Scholastic site, so it gets an additional star for being free and downloadable to my iPhone. As far as the story line goes, it's a decent enough story - light, with enough twists and turns to keep me reading.

There's some types of characters where when the book ends, as a reader I continue to wonder about these characters. I can't wait for the next book, or my mind continues the story until I'm satisfied with the life these characters are leading outside the book. With Suite Scarlett, not everything is resolved, but it's ok. I am willing to walk away clean and not think about it again. I think there's a place for these types of books and characters too.

No comments: