Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Shiver by Maggie Steifvater

In alternating first-person narratives, Shiver is the story of Grace and her yellow-eyed wolf, Sam. Grace was saved by Sam when she was a child, and Sam is her winter wolf who watches her from the edge of the woods. In the summer, Sam turns human, but this may be his last year of being human and when tragedy strikes and he shows up on Grace's porch in human form, she needs to do all she can to hold onto him, but winter is biting at the windows and Sam knows that this will be their first and last time to hold onto each other.

This YA fantasy/romance is a winter read, best read with the wind howling outside, the snow falling or as in Hawaii, the thunder and lightning threatening to tear the house down. I liked the temperature at the beginning of each chapter. It created tension as the temperature dropped, because it was a countdown for when Sam would disappear forever.



The beginning of the book starts a little slow, and stilted, but once the two teens are together, it truly becomes a race for time.

“I said uselessly, "Sam, don't go."

Sam cupped my face in his hands and looked me in the eyes. His eyes were yellow, sad, wolf, mine. 

"These stay the same. Remember that when you look at me. Remember it's me. Please.” 

 I can't wait for the next book, Linger out in July 2010.

No comments: