Sunday, November 1, 2009

Women Unbound Challenge


This is another challenge, which is not always a good thing for me because I seem to be getting overwhelmingly busy but I can't resist this one.
1. It was started on Twitter, and this is tangible evidence of the power of Twitter
2. It's a year long, so that works with the rhythms of my work year.
3. It's about the power of women - FABULOUS
4. I can combine my interest in minority lit. with women's lit., with non-fiction and YA lit to create the list for this challenge

The Women Unbound challenge runs between now and November 2010 so that is a whole year to read any book that focuses on women and their issues.  Like I said, I want to combine minority lit with women's lit with YA lit as well as non-fiction so I have some possible titles, but I'd love to collect recommendations that will specifically appeal to YA readers.


Some that I think qualify and are interesting for YA readers, but I'm not adding because I already read them:

Non fiction:
She Said Yes: The Unlikely Martydom of Cassie Bernall by Misty Bernall (Columbine)
Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family and Fighting to Get Back on the Board by Bethany Hamilton, Sheryl Burk and Rick Bundschuh (Shark bite)
Chinese Cinderella: The True Story of an Unwanted Daughter by Adeline Yen Mah
Warriors Don't Cry by Melba Patillo Beals (Little Rock 9)

Fiction:
The Adoration of Jenna Fox  by Mary E. Pearson
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Skim by Mariko Tamaki (graphic)
Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech
Before We Were Free by Julia Alvarez
Chiggers by Hope Larson


Any recommendations? The only definite so far is Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

2 comments:

susan said...

Like your reading list. May add a few titles to mine. Thanks.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Here are a couple I've read lately, each of which showed me what life could be like for a young adult women in a different time and place. Both are fiction:

The Secret School ~ by Avi, 2001
A Northern Light ~ by Jennifer Donnelly, 2003